Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Like Your Shape...

Eliza is the baby of the family. At age 9, she's not so much of a baby anymore -- a little sad for me. She's also a self-proclaimed tomboy... much to my chagrin because I love pink, dresses and jewelry... none of which Eliza will don these days.

While I feel like the tomboy stage is a passing phase, it always comes as a sweet surprise when Eliza says or does something feminine... reminding me that she does like being a girl :>)

The other night, Eliza was in my bathroom while I was getting ready for bed. She was chatting with me about her day, and then she looked up and said, "Mom, when I grow up, I wanna be just like you." Wow, I thought. That's the greatest compliment in the world (plus, I'm a girly girl, so maybe she'll end up liking to shop for pink with me :>).

I asked Eliza what she liked about me that would make her want to grow up to be just like me. She said, "Well, you're nice, you're pretty, you always do kind things, and you have a really nice shape." OMG... I wouldn't have dreamed she would mention my "shape." I said, "Eliza, you just made my day. Those were the sweetest words anyone could have ever said to me." She grinned, gave me a kiss, and said, "I love you." I love you too, Eliza!

While I know that Eliza was speaking about the external when she said "I like your shape." I began to think that there was more to the phrase "your shape" especially when considering the other points that Eliza made. She mentioned kindness...

Kindness is a shape from the heart. What kind of "shape" am I in when it relates to how I treat others? How I treat my family? In Eliza's mind, the shape looks pretty good right now, and I'm grateful for her unconditional love. I know, though, that I'm not always exhibiting my best shape everyday.

Eliza is 9. She's still in the "my mommy can do no wrong" phase. I know there is a day that's coming when I'll be wishing that's how she felt. There will be a day when I can hardly do or say anything right in her eyes... when my "shape" may not look as nice as it once did.

However, I have this 9-year-old-moment to treasure and to remind her of one day. Eliza is a beautiful daughter regardless of her dislike for pink, purple, dresses or anything girly. She's the shape she's supposed to be right now... the girl that God has designed her to be both inside and out. She's a blessing...

"Eliza, I like your shape too!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that precious moment with me. In my humble opionin, you are BOTH in GREAT SHAPE. Laura, you write so beautifully. What a gift. Love, Dee