Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Where I am...


In the summer of 2008 when gas prices had risen to unconscionable heights, I decided that we should go more places on foot. There are only a handful of places near our home that we can walk to and from without completely wearing ourselves out.

There is a grocery store, a drug store, a couple of restaurants, a dry cleaning service, etc. all within easy walking distance. That summer, though, I had enrolled the kids in a Vacation Bible School about 2 miles from our home.

While I wasn't expecting to save much gas by walking to a VBS only 2 miles away, I did decide that it was a good opportunity to teach a principle to the kids. So, we began our walk to the church... mama bird with 4 kids in tow.

It was only June, so the summer had not reached sweltering temperatures yet, and our walk was fairly nice. After having walked a mile, the church was in sight.

Brennan decided that he wanted to run the rest of the way. He was ready to get there I suppose.

Anyway, before he started running, he looked at me and said, "Mom, you know how I can run that far?"
I answered, "How, Brennan?" Brennan said, "Instead of looking ahead at how far I have to go, I keep my eyes focused on where I am and remember how far I've already come." Then he took off!

HELLO?! Well, his words floored me. While I know he was talking literal, the application of those words to the abstract and life, was undeniable. There are few spoken words that move me. Brennan's words that morning really sunk in.

Ironically, I thought that I was taking the kids on a walk to teach them a little about being green and conserving energy. Instead, my kid was taking ME on a walk to teach ME a lot about life and focus.

Often, I find myself wondering about the future, not necessarily worrying, but wondering just the same. That's a lot of energy to spend on what has yet to happen (or not happen). Living in the moment... the moment that God has given me... is really where He wants me to remain.

Nothing is in my control, really. God is the Author and Perfecter of our faith, the Beginning and the End, the Alpha and the Omega. He is the Now and the Not Yet, the Seen and the Unseen. God has designed a future for each one of us, and with that future, He has promised us a purpose. He has promised not to harm us, and He has promised to lead us.

With the leading, there must be following. Where am I? Am I trying to lead rather than staying focused on where God has me right this very minute? He wants me where I am today, not where I hope to be tomorrow.

If He has me today, in this moment, then He has all of me. I think I'll stay where I am until He says move.

No comments: